Thursday, February 25, 2010

Random Thoughts about My Thailand

As this leg of my international journey nears its end, I thought I'd ramble a bit about random things that I have crossed my mind lately. This may be a bit rambling, so I apologize in advance:

Pharmacies: The first night I was here I wondered why there are so many pharmacies here--about one per block it seems. Now I realize they are in business for three reasons: condoms, sunburns, and Muaythai. I have been training too much to get a sunburn (OK, I got a little here and there, but nothing bad) and am a good boy so didn't need to stop at the condom counter, but I have kept my local pharmacy in business for my Muaythai needs. I'd say I visit twice a week on average, maybe more. Here's a list of some of the things I can remember buying:

Multiple bottles of boxing liniment, tiger balm, and tiger balm patches
Multiple containers of cotton pads
Multiple bottles of rubbing alcohol
Multiple sets of boxing tape
Betadine
Antibacterial Neosporin-ish cream
Scissors
Cotton wrap
Some kind of antibacterial fabric
Monkey balm (similar to tiger balm)
Vitamin D (helps bruises)
Anti-inflammatory and anti-pain lotion (again, for bruises)
Multiple packs of ibuprofen
Aloe lotion (told you I got a little sunburned)

I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting, but that should give you a sense of the quantity of crap I've needed to take care of my broken body during the last four weeks (yes, all that stuff was just for four weeks).

My Feet: Yes, my feet warrant a short discussion. Never in my life have I spent so much time taking care of them. This is for two main reasons: 1) the mats that we practice on are not cleaned (as far as I can tell) so the floor is covered in many layers of sweat, dirt, dust, etc, and 2) these dirty mats also act like sandpaper, taking the skin off your feet and/or causing blisters. Due to these reasons, I have a daily pre- and post-workout routine with my feet. Before the workout I have to clean and wrap anywhere from one to five toes with cotton wrap and tape, depending on how many blisters/cuts I may have. After each workout I shower (obviously) and then scrub my feet with antibacterial soap and a loofah. I then re-clean my feet with alcohol and betadine or a Neosporin-like cream. It is kind of ridiculous, but I have come to realize that if the feet are injured/damaged/etc then you really can't do any training at all (unlike a sore shin, for instance).

A Collection Of Random Thoughts That Have Gone Through My Head While Here:

"EEEEWWWWWW" [I thought this after hearing from a friend that ringworm occasionally goes around camp "like wildfire." Of course, I gave a knowing nod and made an expression that said "sure, that's normal" but on the inside, I was thinking the above phrase. I was also thinking "please God let the next mass-infection of ringworm occur AFTER I leave on Saturday."]

Until I came here, I thought the whole anti-bacterial soap and hand lotion thing was pretty silly, and potentially problematic if it causes germs to become resistant. However, while in Thailand I have become a believer. I realized that all it takes is getting kicked in the chest a few times and then looking down and seeing black soot all over you (which you know just came off a guy's foot) to become a convert.

I haven't worn jeans since the day I arrived. And I only wear actual shoes (not sandals) when in the gym or on a scooter. Even doing that makes me a little bit of an oddity, since other guys wear sandals or go barefoot in both places.

Is it possible to go above 100% humidity?? Today there was a huge rainstorm and our night training session was then the most humid experience I've ever had. It made Bikram Yoga sweating look like a mild glistening.

There was a scorpion in camp tonight. By "in camp" I don't mean we saw it in the distance, I mean it was right in the middle of the mats, where everyone was standing. One of the trainers held it down with a glove, picked it up with his bare hands (WTF!!???) and carried it to the bushes.

Nothing makes you change your posture quicker than getting punched. I realized early on that I have a tendency to stick my chin out. This is the perfect stance if you want to get punched in the face, which is why it only took a day for me to fix that.

Apparently Koh Samui island is the most deadly place, per capita, to ride a scooter. I don't find that hard to believe, since everyone from 10 years-old onward drives them, nobody wears helmets or shoes, and drinking and driving is an accepted practice. One of my buddies actually had a pretty bad scooter accident coming back from the bar the other night and was hospitalized for four days. I am glad to know that I won't be riding on any more scooters here.

TV is totally overrated. I haven't seen any of my favorite shows since I left Korea (I was watching some on the internet) and I don't feel like I've missed anything. I'm sure I'll pick up the TV watching a bit when I get back to the US, but I plan to keep it to a minimum (I only watched a couple shows before I left anyhow). On my deathbed, one thing I am certain I will never say is "if I'd only watched more TV."


OK, I just realized how long this post is getting so I'll stop. I think it is safe to say I fulfilled my initial promise of randomness and ramblingness.

No comments:

Post a Comment