So last night I decided (admittedly, I was forced because I'd run out of Ramen) to buy something different than what I've been eating. Doing this is more complicated than it sounds, at least for someone who is not used to cooking with Korean ingredients (for instance, you don't just walk up and buy a box of spring greens--they don't have them). So I wandered around the grocery for probably 30 minutes like a chicken with my head cut off, but finally found some new things to cook. The funniest moment came when I decided to buy some beef from the butcher. I walked up to his counter and pointed at a pack of three pieces of beef, implying (I thought) that I wanted to buy them. Here's what then occured:
Him: That beef tandaroon.
Me: What?
Him: Beef tandaroon!
Me: Huh?
Him: You speak Engrish!?
Me: What? (I was confused that he was asking me this--the what was an instinctual reaction)
Him: Engrish!!
Me: Um, a little (sarcastically, which was not received)
Him: Engrish??!
Me: Yes, a little (now he got that I was joking)
Him: This is beef tandaroon!
Me: Beef tandori? **Stupid look on my face** (WTF is he saying???)
Him: Tandaroon!!
Me: Oh, tenderloin! Yes, I'll take it.
That's how things go sometimes. At any rate, I cooked a delicious meal of beef tandaroon, sauteed mushrooms, steamed dumplings (I had to improvise a steaming device and was very proud of my accomplishment) and green salad (which I was dying for--salad isn't really eaten here).
Tonight, I am going out to dinner with several guys from my class, including MR KIM!! I have heard that we may be going for abalone and I've also heard "live octopus" thrown around a few times, so it could get interesting. I'll be sure to report on this meal soon, assuming it is as exotic as it sounds like it might be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment